Monday, October 12, 2009

Onsite Life Commences....

The flight landed and I entered the airport. I hope, that 50 to 60 percent of cases of guy travelling Onsite,there will always be a relative or friend there, and i was not an exception in this case. I too had my cousin at Muscat staying there for about 8 years. The flight landed at Muscat, there was a long wait in the visa counter for the stamping.I could not forget the fear filled heart of mine, on exposure to a different country,culture and language. Just there in the airport itself, I could realise the alien-like feeling, people lookin at me like slave (probably my feeling)or the anger for sharing their own rites and freedom, cud be many such reasons. Again smile creeped into me, when I saw my cousin waiting for me at the arrivals, and then he dropped me to my hotel and left.(place where my client has booked place for me). From here starts my life at Onsite. This could be divided into two phases. First, it was good and then became better. I was given a royal suite for accommodation (that sounds great right!!!), hope this is the first good thing I could mention about my Muscat life, but was not even able to enjoy that. What made the difference? missing family, friends or my difficulty to come out the comfort zone, that i was into?? There was big team from my company say around 20 ppl, was tis gud or bad?? hopefully/hopelessly, this took me about 3 to 4 months to mingle with the team , or probably they were also reluctant to extend their comfort zone over to a new guy or the assumed perception of them on on me. And, thus commenced my life at onsite with so many such unanswered questions, hoping things to become better some day. Then, started my hectic work at onsite. I was working almost all days without even a break. I was exposured to the so called "Corporate Life" for the first time, apart from the work pressure. All of them at onsite were my seniors, Probably, this thought of mine kept me away from them for a long time. It was very difficult to interpret my colleagues expressions or words. I felt, people liked to flatter and get their work done. Suprisingly, each one of them know this, but most of them continued to do
the same with every other people. I was almost an innocent college guy who had just joined the first project who was at home till date. So, it took me about 3 to 4 months to understand and learn the art of handling people. But, till then I had a very difficult time in understanding the general manager's talk. The major problem I faced was to identify a true friend. I was actually differentiating between colleagues and friends. I felt none of my colleagues can be my friend and did not make an attempt to maintain rapport with them, I told this to few of my colleagues too. But, later I realised that was a wrong opinion atleast when we travel to onsite. We travel away from our near and dear ones and its very hard to stay alone for a long time . Thankfully, I had few of my colleagues who accompanied me during this period. They gave me good company and I was also able to share my thoughts. So, after this period of lull, I slowly joined the group there and few people also had to leave from onsite completing their project. And, when few of my friends left, they advised me, not to be so innocent and soft. So, thus i discovered that happiness in our life depends on our definition and perception only.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment