Tuesday, October 13, 2009

(: 'Machi' >>> 'Saale' :)

I was actually very reluctant in using the word "Machi" until i came to Onsite. What does this mean? literally it means brother - in -law, personally it means 'u r very close to me (in case of guys only)'. I felt it very very informal and uncomfortable. But, when got aquainted with few guys from North India (for me any guys apart from the 4 south indian states are NIs) the first word they learnt from us was 'machi', since most of my other colleagues used it very frequently. These people started addressing everyone as 'machi', then later without my knowledge I too got used to it. When these guys tell this word, its sounds very nice, it gave me a different feeling. This reached the peak, when one of my client called my Manager at offshore as 'machi' in a Conference call. I burst out with laughter on hearing this. Basically, now i have started using it almost very commonly, I wanted to restrict it to only 2 people which i have already violated :(
Hope atleast i don t start using this very common in future, though i like to call my friends from other states as 'machi'... :)

Ironically, the other most common word now i use or rather scold is 'saale' (in hindi), which means the same:)

P.S. : The first person whom i called 'machi' was Arun Bhau Chakor , my good little friend.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment